My sister Kathryn and I are best friends, but we're also complete opposites. This is really hard when you're sharing a room because you both have your own decorating styles. You may want different furniture, different colors for the wall, a different floor lamp. Whatever it is, really your only choice is to compromise.
I know it seems simple but when it comes to it, compromising can be really hard. When Kathryn and I decided to redo our room we both had completely different ideas of what it was going to look like. Our room has bright green walls, black chalkboard doors, black baseboards and hot pink trim. In my mind our room was going to be light purple with dark purple trim. Kathryn wanted it to be red. But when we talked about it we eventually decided to paint it how it is now and we both love it.
Here is a list of some ideas for compromising:
1. Each person takes a piece of paper and fold it in half so you have two columns.
2. Label one column "yes" and the other "no way".
3. Each person writes down what she would really like to have or do in the yes column and what she absolutely can't deal with in the no way column.
4. Get together and compare. If one of you has something in the yes column that is a no way for the other persons column, cross it out.
5. Highlight anything that you both have in the yes column.
6. Go over anything that is in each of your yes columns and highlight anything you agree on. You might be surprised that you have the same ideas, or a great idea that the other didn't think of.
Hopefully, you have agreed on some items and can start making a plan. If you can't come up with a plan, come back tomorrow and read my post on preferring others : )
Post a Comment